Friday 26 September 2014

Argia Sketch

It may not look like much but I just wanted to get the effect of lights in the dark. I aimed to get the same effect from cities at night. The structures of the buildings are not clearly visible in the low light, but only the lights give a vague picture to what they look like. In the background I had drawn an ordinary village on a hill. I came up with a story where a small village above ground fell through the Earth in a natural disaster. The survivors decided to settle and build the small village into a massive underground city. I'm quite happy with how this turned out though it can be a lot better. I found that listening to music helped me draw constantly without stopping, and I listened to the same song over and over again because I thought the style of music went really well with the theme of the picture. I listened to Dye Fantasy, which has a horribly disturbing animated video, but the song pretty good to work to. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Cat - see link:

    http://ucarochester-cgartsandanimation.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/fao-caa-year-1-invisible-cities-online.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cat!

    I am Anita, a recent graduate from Computer Animation Arts and I am your mentor :) Welcome to the course! I'm not going to be in uni but I'll be keeping an eye on your blog and you're more than welcome to ask anything by commenting on my blog: anita-gill.blogspot.co.uk/
    The course has a very close community so feel free to ask anyone for help. People are always around.

    It's great that you're connecting music with your work already. That often helped me too! If you start creating rough thumbnails (keep them 16:9), you can produce a number of quick layouts, and that way see what works best. I know you have done a few already but if you try to make them 16:9 they will feel more cinematic. Also, if you post some of your influence maps with colour schemes and reference images, that would be great!! One last tip. It's really helpful to take your extract of text and highlight key descriptive words or create a mind map. If you post it up on your blog, we can see the source for your ideas and it helps you pick out key words :)
    Looking forward to seeing where you go with this project!

    ReplyDelete